The Local Film Festival Challenge Fund will offer one-off grants of between £1,000 and £5,000 for activity to take place in the first quarter of 2018, which are intended to help with developing the concept of, building interest for, or planning the format of, a new local film festival, anywhere in Scotland.
Why this funding is being offered
We’ve learned from managing the Local Film Festival Fund that film festivals can be a highly effective means of building new audiences, and of encouraging existing audiences to try new and different films. They can also be a good way of engaging with young people, addressing contemporary issues, or celebrating a theme or place. You can read more about this in the evaluation of the Fund here.
From 2014 to 2017 Regional Screen Scotland operated a Development Programme for Local Film Festivals, with funding provided by Creative Scotland and Film Hub Scotland. This provided development funding for five festivals over three years, and a range of one-off grants for festivals across Scotland. This programme is now drawing to a close, and will conclude with three linked activities:
• A Gathering to celebrate, and share experiences about, local film festivals
• A media campaign to raise awareness of the value of local film festivals in Scotland
• A small, one-off ‘challenge fund’ to support the first stages of developing two or more new local film festivals.
Activities might include:
• Mentoring support from a more established festival to a new or growing festival
• A regional meeting or meetings to develop a festival concept
• A trial programme of screenings to gauge interest and support
• A mini-consultancy to assist audience development or commercial opportunities
This is not an exhaustive list. We welcome different – and innovative – ideas and proposals.
We expect to make a maximum of four awards.
Who can apply
• The funding scheme is open to properly constituted organisations (not individuals).
• The film festival must take place in areas prioritised by Regional Screen Scotland, namely areas of cinema under-provision within Scotland
How to apply
There is no application form. Please include the following information in no more than four pages of A4:
• About your organisation: key contacts, legal status, aims, brief history
• Why you are interested in developing a film festival
• What you would like to use the funding for
• What outcomes you hope to achieve
• What you hope the wider benefits and impact may be for your community
• An outline budget (showing a minimum of 10% cash or inkind contribution from your own or other sources)
• Contact details for a referee
You should also complete the separate Equalities Monitoring Form.
Before submitting an application, you’re strongly encouraged to discuss your proposal with a member of the Regional Screen Scotland team, so please email either Harriet Warman email@example.com or Robert Livingston firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a phone conversation. They can help with making links, and suggesting possible models, mentors or advisors.
The deadline for applications is 12.00 on Monday 11th December.
Applications will be assessed by a panel consisting of a member of RSS staff, a member of the Screen Team at Creative Scotland, the Manager of Film Hub Scotland, and a film festival curator or manager.
Decisions will be announced before Christmas.
The funded activity should take place in the first quarter of 2018.